Tuesday, December 4, 2012

It's That Time of Month Again

It's that time of month again ...to inventory my cabinets and freezer; to put together a grocery shopping list; to organize and do a spreadsheet on grocery store match-ups; to decide which new recipes we'll try this time around (seriously, I can't afford to waste food, so I look for recipes that I'm pretty sure will be winners!)

But I just can't seem to find the motivation; I'm procrastinating.  And I'm enjoying my food today.  You'd think that that would provide some motivation.  But no, it's just not working that way!

It's mid-afternoon and I've had my prescribed (as in prescribed by a Doctor, not by my tummy) 2 meals and 2 snacks so far today. 

Breakfast was oatmeal (cooked in a big batch and then frozen in single portion sizes) with home-frozen peach slices and walnuts (the Doctor says to balance the carbs with a protein.  Walnuts are a protein...I think).
Yummy Tomato Soup
The first snack was warm apple slices (again, home frozen).  The afternoon snack was a mug of tomato soup with french fried onion sprinkles, a bit of parsley and parmesan cheese.

And lunch was two turkey sausage links with a warm, savory muffin.  Yum!  The muffin is chock full of spinach, sauteed leeks, red pepper and cheese.  They were an experiment, but oh!  They are so good!
Savory Muffins
I don't have a recipe; I didn't measure while I was experimenting.  It might be a good habit to get into as I tend to experiment often, lol! 

The base was homemade baking mix (like Bisquick, but with organic ingredients!), to which I added chopped spinach, leeks lightly sauteed in organic olive oil, red pepper flakes, two slices of crumbled bacon and a handful of grated cheese.  Oh, and an egg and milk to moisten it all.  Poured into muffin tins and baked for 16 minutes, my experiment gave me ten delicious, savory muffins!  They weren't overly done because I wanted to be able to reheat them without ending up with something inedible.

Dinner for my son and I will be 4-6 ounces of pork, baked in the oven with potatoes and sweet potato wedges, and corn on the cob.  The sweet potato wedges are home cut and frozen, and the corn on the cob was cut into segments, blanched and frozen back when it was 4 ears for $1.00. 

I want to note too, that I bought the organic olive oil AND organic canola oil at Grocery Outlet and they were a big enough bargain that I bought multiples.  If you have a Grocery Outlet store in your area, they're definitely worth checking out.  Their stock changes constantly, but I've been able to find great deals on pantry items and have found cereal, canned beans, tomato products, frozen vegetables and even meat and pizza - all organics at fantastic prices!  Whatever you buy, be sure to check expiration dates and you may not want to purchase produce there unless you'll be using it within a day or two.

And that takes me back to that grocery list that's waiting to be made...sigh!

1 comment:

  1. That tomato soup looks perfect for a day like this. Chilly and grey in GA today. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy and appreciate your comments and feedback. Thanks for being part of The Bottomless Heart!